Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Gits - A Documentary




The Gits is a documentary about the now defunct Seattle band by the same name. The reason the Gits unfortunately became part of the national scene was because of the brutal rape and murder of their lead singer Mia Zapata in 1993. I lived in Seattle in the same neighborhood that the murder occurred in at the time, and knew a lot of the same people that she did, and went to many of the same clubs and bars. I remember vividly the fear that gripped the city after her murder. I used to walk home from clubs all the time back then; and her murder made me realize that there but for the grace of God went I. Eerily, her body was discovered only 4 blocks from where I lived at the time.

In this documentary, we get to explore Mia’s life, meet her family and friends, and see her perform on stage. We get to see her old haunts, the house on 19th Street where she lived with her band, and the clubs where she played. The most poignant thing is that we get to see her sing; and the posthumous beauty simply breaks your heart. Hearing the way people who enjoyed her music describe how her music felt to them, drives home the loss of her amazing voice; in all it’s bluesy glory. It’s madding how close the Gits were to a major tour and national exposure, mere days; when she unfortunately wandered into the wrong place at the wrong time. I clearly remember the posters of her on every telephone pole and street corner, begging for information leading to the capture of her killer. I remember the benefit concerts at the clubs in memoriam of her. I remember how angry women were in the musical community, driving them to band together to form a non profit safe rides group, that has now gone national, so no woman has to endure what Mia did.

What I didn’t know going into this film is that there was a break in this case a decade later. DNA testing has come a long way since 1993, so due to DNA found on Mia’s body in 1993, a match was made to an offender in Florida in 2003. It was a turn in the film I hadn’t expected, and was relieved and happy to see. I was on the edge of my seat as we trace the investigation and discover the identity of Mia’s killer. I squirmed when hearing the details of the case, and what Mia went through that night. I felt the relief, anger and pain of the friends, fans and family members in the Seattle courtroom when this scumbag was sentenced to life in prison. Justice was served!

The Seattle music community could now rejoice that Mia could finally rest in peace. Though her impact and life was in Seattle, she is originally from Kentucky and that is where she is buried. Her family welcomes her fans to pay their respects at her gravesite, and understand how much she was loved and touched others. The are proud of the legacy that she has left behind. Amazing journey for music fans.


No comments:

Post a Comment